[Taxacom] Why I do this, and Why you should too -- The End

Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 15:21:50 CDT 2009

John,

To be sure, my experience took place in the early to mid-1980s, so the resources you mention were not yet available.  (Could you send the citation for the 1999 book you mention?)  And I admit not having tried to keep up on that literature.

I did proceed to publish some work relating the fossil to the Recent distribution of land snail taxa, and finding repeated patterns therein.  I'll scan those 1986 and 1988 papers and send the files to you. At the time I appreciated somewhat dimly the fact that to be useful a track has to pertain to members of a holophyletic group; and in most cases there was not enough phylogenetic analysis to demonstrate that.  I relied on "membership in a genus" as proof of relationship -- and don't think I went far wrong, but I am conscious of that extra layer of rigor that would make the biogeographic analysis better.

Barry Roth

ps.--your use of "suited" and "to [my] liking" implies more subjective and idiosyncratic judgments than I think I was making.