[Taxacom] panbiogeography critique

Peter Stevens peter.stevens at mobot.org
Mon Jun 29 16:15:55 CDT 2009

Croizat, on his very own "Space, Time, Form" - "I do admit that fully
99% of the pagination of my works is  wind, trifle, piffle, rot,
stuff, in sum, entirely unworthy of the attention of the serious
scientist." - so that gave him on his own estimation 50-60 useful
pages.  But then, you all should read what he thought about serious
scientists...  Lily Perry told a very nice story where L.C. compared
how he thought with how she thought: when asked to i.d. a plant, Miss
Perry said she would think about it, and came back the next day with
the name and how she had got there. L.C. thereupon said words to the
effect, "you are so careful, you will not step from one stone to
another until you are absolutely sure that they are close enough
together; as for me, I skip from stone to stone without worrying how
far they are apart" - and Miss Perry made skipping motions with her
hands with pleasant accompanying sounds.

P.