[Taxacom] hominid evidence

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Jun 30 09:26:35 CDT 2009

John Grehan wrote:
> The great thing about publicity is that it can force people to respond
> when they otherwise whould not have to. The MSNBC article shows that at
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31624027/ns/technology_and_science
>
> "The DNA evidence <http://www.livescience.com/dna/>  is so strongly
> against it," said Frans de Waal, director of the Living Links Center at
> the Yerkes National Primate Research Center of Emory University in
> Atlanta. "It's a leftover from the days that bones ruled, but they don't
> anymore."

* I think what this debate lacks is a pattern, or track, into which the
Pan/Homo/Pongo genetics/morphology disparity can be fit.

Surely, Taxacomers, are there other cases where genetic and
morphological phylogenies are puzzlingly disparate. If these were to be
sent to John, he/we could see if there's a pattern into which the
hominid situation fits. It would be indecently un-Copernican to assert
that there's a unique disparity between genetics and morphology in our
own recent ancestry.

fred.