[Taxacom] Intuition in taxonomy

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Mon Mar 2 12:30:14 CST 2009

Maybe we need to distinguish between guidance from theory and a priori guidelines. Guidance from theory means that there is a best grouping, one that maximizes what we know or infer about a taxon's evolution, relation with a habitat, biogeography over time, etc. IMO, anyway.

A priori, on the other hand, can mean or imply set ideas, essentialism, typology, which I agree are non-rigorous and should be identified and something better substituted if possible. But "something better" is not necessarily a solution provided by a method that provides more detail at least in part through empty accuracy. Although parsimony is a wonderful non-ultrametric clustering method incorporating a simple model of evolution, and the results often match in general with molecular analyses, linkage in evolutionary selection between 2 or more traits means that details of parsimony analysis are far from assured.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299