[Taxacom] Paraphyly/predictivity

Peter Stevens peter.stevens at mobot.org
Sat Mar 28 13:06:11 CDT 2009

well, there are a variety of definitions of predictivity out there.
But thinking of common nouns and classifications, in folk
classifications and in language generally, when nouns are members of
contrast sets, they are generally non-overlapping - that is, one does
not include the other. It clearly helps in communication.  This might
be relevant when we are thinking of paraphyly and monophyly.  When I
was working on my thesis, it was a matter of some interest that
Ericaceae (the rhododendron/blueberry/heather family) were so poorly
represented in Australia - except that it has turned out that they
are very well represented there, but we were calling them
Epacridaceae then, and so we thought that they were irrelevant when
thinking about the distribution of Ericaceae...

p.