[Taxacom] A little more on Species Entities

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 1 02:21:05 CDT 2009

>Demonstrating the difference between a change in how these two species were seen vs. a simple mislabeling or misidentification
In practice, a misidentification is a misidentification is a misidentification, whether or not it reflected current thinking at the time, or else was just the product of a rushed and sloppy identifier. From our point of view today, we don't need to know which. Perhaps you could start up a new discipline which studies old and defunct taxonomic concepts, but trying to add that into a database will just massively increase the complexity of the task for little or nothing of any use. Forgive the bad timing of this analogy, but think of taxonomy as like being on the crest of a wave - what we want to know is: are specimens correctly identified according to our CURRENT concepts? Seems to me that somehow the bioinfo people have lost sight of what the taxonomists actually do: when taxonomists see a published identification, they don't ask: what taxon concept is this talking about? Instead, and if they need to, they try to revisit the actual voucher specimens and see if they are correctly identified according to their present concept. In practice, this is the only way ...