[Taxacom] BHL Survey reminder (last call)

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Thu Apr 22 15:06:07 CDT 2010

Dear Taxacomers,

Last call for those who have not yet responded to the BHL Survey. The
BHL Survey 2010 will be closed down at 03 May.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BHLsurvey

As already said in March, this survey is a key component in our
continuing efforts to build a library which is responsive to and
serves the needs of our user communities. Your responses and ideas
are sincerely appreciated and vital to the further development of the
BHL.

We thank all who helped improving our service by completing the 16
questions of this survey since 16 March.

Preliminary evaluations suggest that we have been successful in
informing most user groups, with some exceptions. Relatively weak
response rates came unexpectedly from South America, France, eastern
Europe and Russia. Scandinavia, Greece and Turkey were also
surprisingly low.

If you know some folks in these regions, we would be thankful if you
could inform them. We would like to listen to user voices from all
countries.
This includes especially South America, a continent for which we feel
a very special historical responsibility but being Europeans and
North Americans we simply have no contacts to scientists working
there. Current feedback from Latin America including Mexico is only 5
% of the survey participants, we know that this is too low and does
not represent their significance in biodiversity related sciences.

We also had very low responses from India, China and Japan, but
this could have been anticipated since BHL is only available in
Latin script.

The survey has 16 questions and will take 5-10 minutes to complete.
We translated the questions into German, Italian, Spanish, French and
Portuguese (and doing so we covered 87 % of the participants in
terms of their native languages).

Some weeks after taking down the survey we will provide a weblink for
the public where you can see the main results, as evaluated by the
BHL and BHL-Europe team members.

Thank you for your time and for participation in the BHL Survey 2010.

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org
www.bhl-europe.eu