[Taxacom] Genus and family level homonym listings from IRMNG

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Thu Apr 1 01:04:17 CDT 2010

Dear Taxacomers,

With reference to previous correspondence on the list about genus level homonyms, and at the request of various persons off list, I have taken the step of preparing a search interface to genus and family level homonyms as currently identified in my IRMNG (Interim Register of Marine and Nonmarine Genera) data system, across all nomenclatural codes i.e. Botany, Zoology and prokaryotes (also including some names without standing on these lists in some cases). The relevant links are accessible from this page:

http://www.cmar.csiro.au/datacentre/irmng/homonyms.htm

Please bear in mind that I am using a wide sense of "homonym" at this time, being any name used to refer inadvertently to more than one taxon, generally in the published literature, so as well as including valid/current (cross code) homonyms it also includes invalid/non current names as well as a sprinkling of nomina nuda, rejected or otherwise non valid names, and published misspellings of other names when then collide with the correctly spelled name for a different taxon. There may also be a small number of genuine duplicate entries which, however, I am in the process of slowly weeding out. Also no doubt the lists will not be complete, however I hope the number of genus homonyms missed to date will not be too large, and of course please feel free to alert me to any that are currently missing if you are aware of them.

As usual, I present this work with some trepidation in anticipation of errors being likely to be visible to relevant expert persons, particularly in the higher classification side of things, however (again as usual) I will be happy to make ongoing corrections to the stored content as and when such errors are pointed out, in addition to continuing ongoing quality control at this end.

I hope some will find these lists useful, in particular for indicating potential cases where a genus+species combination alone is insufficient to indicate a definitive place in a particular taxonomic hierarchy.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,