[Taxacom] Whooping crane migration record (errata)

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Fri Apr 2 06:51:16 CDT 2010

Dear All,
      When I woke up this morning, I realized my tired brain had another
one of those "senior moments" last night.  The rare explosion in the
Milky Way to which I referred is obviously a supernova.  Also, I found
out that not all 76 of the whooping cranes left en masse.  Three of them
decided to hang around a bit longer.  In any case, the flock seems to be
in better health this winter than it was last winter (when the drought
caused food shortages on the Texas coast).
       ---------Ken Kinman,
                up the road from Google/Topeka

I wrote:
Dear All,
       This morning there were a record 76 whooping cranes at Quivira
National Wildlife Refuge in central Kansas (which is about 30% of the
entire main Aransas flock arriving at about the same time).  However,
with strong favorable south winds, they were all gone by afternoon. This
record concentration of migrating whooping cranes in a small area was so
brief that few birders within driving distance made it there to see this
spectacle.
      This actually happened (not an April Fool's Joke), but as is
typical of spring migration, the cranes were in a huge hurry to proceed
northward as the best nesting sites in Canada are at stake (like
homesteaders looking for the best land in the Land Rushes of the 19th
Century).  Even with the internet, this rare event happened so fast,
that relatively few birders were able to drive there to witness it in
person.  The record was set and then they were gone, fleeting and rare,
like trying to detect a rare quasar exploding within the Milky Way
galaxy.
          ---------Ken Kinman