[Taxacom] Order Dipsacales classification (Subclass Asteridae)

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sat Apr 3 20:37:32 CDT 2010

Dear All,
         Below is my classification of Order
Dipsacales.  The first two families are what many are now splitting off
as a separate Order Paracryphiales (following APG 2009).  Note that I am
following Watson and Dallwitz in including Quintiniaceae as a synonym of
Paracryphiaceae, but maintaining Sphenostemonaceae as a separate family.
     The other 9 families are what one might call the "core" Dipsacales,
but regrettably the NCBI database has already reduced them to just 2
families.  By collapsing the last 6 families into one large
Caprifoliaceae, they now have one huge alphabetic listing of genera with
no phylogenetic structure (resulting in an unnecessary loss of
information).  Overlumping can be just as bad as the other extreme of
oversplitting (such as raising Viburnaceae to a full Order Viburnales).
The old broad Caprifoliaceae has clearly been abandoned, but  I view
such a new broad (but different) Caprifoliaceae as history just
repeating itself (lesson not yet learned).  Time to stick with a lean
Caprifoliaceae (sensu stricto) that doesn't need to be trimmed yet again
a decade hence.
            Thankfully there are plenty of
people out there who still value a more balanced, middle-course
approach.  I must admit that I may eventually end up putting
Sphenostemonaceae in its sister family Paracryphiaceae, or even
Sambucaceae in its sister Adoxaceae, but you won't EVER see me reducing
this diversity down to just 3 families in 2 separate Orders (as NCBI has
done). Anyway, I am obviously in favor of James Reveal's proposal to
conserve the name Viburnaceae (and rejecting the name Tinaceae).

Dipsacales
    1  Paracryphiaceae
    B  Sphenostemonaceae
    2  Viburnaceae