[Taxacom] [iczn-list] Fish nomenclature question

Lynn Raw lynn at afriherp.org
Tue Apr 6 15:07:20 CDT 2010

Further to my earlier post, it seems that my sources were not altogether correct - D. intermedia  Iglesias, 2009 should be D. intermedius (Parnell, 1837) and D. flossada Iglesias, 2009 should be D. flossadus (Risso, 1827).

There are two earlier names which are apparently ignored - D. batis (Linnaeus, 1758 as Raja batis) and D. hypostictus (Otto, 1821 as Propterygia hyposticta) - I now suspect that they are being regarded as uncertain species but question whether the designation of a neotype (if the type/s is/are lost) for D. batis may not be more appropriate.

Lynn Raw