[Taxacom] ???????? Research Assistant – Solanaceae DNA Taxonomy

Dave Roberts workpackage6 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 7 05:52:11 CDT 2010

Dear Peter,

yes, the search system is pretty special.

Here's the direct link:
http://tinyurl.com/solanaceae

but you can find it by restricting your search to Dept Botany.

Cheers,  Dave
--
On 7 Apr 2010, at 11:22, Peter A. Schäfer wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> before discussing word or not to word I tried to find the job
> announcment on the given site: no job for the deparment of Botany ????
> two jobs with the word "assistant":
>> Curatorial Assistant, Wildebeest
>> London, South Kensington, Zoology, Ref:NHM/CA/ZOO/ET10
>> Postdoctoral Research Assistant , Meteorites
>> London, South Kensington, Mineralogy, Ref:NHM/RA2/MIN/ET10
>
> but not Solanaceae
>
> ?????
>
> Best wishes
> Peter
>

> Edward Baker wrote:
>> On behalf of sandy Knapp:
>>
>> *Research Assistant – Solanaceae DNA Taxonomy*
>>
>> Department of Botany
>>
>> The Natural History Museum, London
>>

>> The successful applicant will provide support for research
>> undertaken in
>> Solanaceae at the Natural History Museum, London and will work with
>> Dr.
>> Sandra Knapp. Focussing primarily on the development of molecular
>> markers
>> and new techniques for approaching the taxonomy of key groups of
>> *Solanum*(such as the Morelloid clade), key areas of responsibility
>> will include:
>>

>>   - molecular marker development and analysis
>>   - application of a variety of molecular techniques to taxonomic
>> problems
>>   - involvement in field work for specimen collection
>>   - curation of both herbarium and molecular collections
>>   - writing primary taxonomic accounts at the species level for
>> inclusion
>>   on Solanaceae Source
>>   - supervision of and assistance to visitors and students will
>> form part
>>   of day-to-day job responsibilities
>>

>> The post holder will have some involvement in writing grant
>> proposals for
>> funding the development of new molecular diagnostics using Next
>> Generation
>> Sequencing and other techniques. Requirements of the role include
>> leading on
>> selected joint publications of project results and the successful
>> candidate
>> will have the desire to integrate molecular and morphological
>> research in
>> taxonomy in novel ways.
>>

>> *Salary* - £28,022 per annum; fixed term 36 month appointment (full-
>> time, 41
>> hrs/wk)
>>
>> *Closing date* – Monday 3 May 2010; interviews in week commencing
>> 24 May
>> 2020
>>

>> Apply online by completing the online application form found on the
>> Natural
>> History Museum’s webpage: www.nhm.ac.uk/jobs. Please also include a
>> current
>> CV and publications list, a cover letter and the names and
>> addresses of two
>> referees. Applicants must provide sufficient evidence to
> [...]

Dr D.McL. Roberts,        Tel: +44 (0)20 7942 5086
European Distributed Institute of Taxonomy Project,
Coordinator WorkPackage 6 (Unifying Revisionary Taxonomy),
Dept. Zoology,
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London        SW7 5BD
Great Britain             Email: dmr at nomencurator dot org
Web page:  http://scratchpads.eu
Web page:  http://www.editwebrevisions.info/
--
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try and give it
to them.  By the time you get it built, they'll want something