[Taxacom] microsoft ex Re; Research Assistant ? Solanaceae DNA Taxonomy

Dr. David Campbell amblema at bama.ua.edu
Wed Apr 7 09:48:30 CDT 2010

While I have plenty of gripes about Microsoft (of relevance to taxonomic
work is the fact that the statistics and matrix functions built into
Excel are not always reliable-enter the formulas yourself, check
manually for multiple modes, etc.), I believe that "It is advisable that
candidates prepare their answers to the questions in word document which
can be transferred into the online application form"  may be translated
as "Our form is not the greatest place to compose and edit answers.  Do
it first in your word processor."  Specific reference to Microsoft Word,
if intended, would mean "We have tested this for Microsoft Word.  If you
use some other program, formatting may get screwed up because
purportedly interchangeable things aren't."  In reality, it's not a bad
idea to take a look at the review screen even if you used Word, since
the formatting sometimes changes despite using the "recommended"
program.  Cf. the paper I found online yesterday, in which the OCR had
hopelessly garbled the author and institution section (presumably thrown
off by Turkish diacritical marks, but still that's no reason to have
random stuff with lines of text superimposed on each other).  Which
raises the risk of restarting the argument about online versus paper
publications.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections Building