Dr. David Campbell amblema at bama.ua.edu
Thu Apr 8 15:25:24 CDT 2010

> I don't quite know what to say.
> I have to admit that “dark bellied bearer of wisdom” sounds more
> elegant than “dark-bellied dew-lover".  To paraphrase Tennyson, the
> old order (subgenus?) changeth yielding place to the new (or would it
> be the even older?)

The difficulty is that the actual type species of Drosophila is not
very closely related to D. melanogaster.  Although both of them have
the plesiomorphic generic vinegar fly morphology, some of the exotic
flies such as the Hawaiian ones place in between phylogenetically.  One
can either have a huge genus Drosophila with high morphological
disparity or else multiple genera, but then all the genetics books have
an outdated name.  So it is yielding place to the new.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections Building