Kim van der Linde kim at kimvdlinde.com
Thu Apr 8 21:04:09 CDT 2010

Neal,

> The Commission was essentially being asked to approve a phylogenetic
> classification by fiat (and before it was published!). The Commission
> only deals with nomenclature, not taxonomy or systematics.

I am baffled as to where we asked the commission to decide on a
phylogenetic classification. Where do we ask for that?
> ...also ...
>
> Aedes aegypti seems to be doing just fine although its former
> subgenus was raised to genus level in the last decade and the common
> yellow fever mosquito is now properly known as "Stegomyia aegypti" in
> phylogenetic circles.

You are right, it is not a problem within phylogenetic circles. Outside
of that however, it is virtually universally ignored. Do you want to
suggest that the commission should ignore the world beyond the circles
of the systematics?
> Ironically (or coincidentally), the ICZN Executive Secretary who
> accepted the application for conserving in futuris the combination
> Drosophila melanogaster (Andrew Polaszek)
He did act on the recommendation to accept made by one of the
commissioners who reviewed the case before it was accepted.

Kim