David Remsen (GBIF) dremsen at gbif.org
Tue Apr 13 09:08:28 CDT 2010

Pneumocystic jiroveci appear to have been split from Pneumocystic
carinii.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/828240 is the earliest reference in
1976 but it doesn't appear that people noticed until this article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12194762  was published in 2002 .
The title indicates that the human form of this fungus (P.  jiroveci)
is distinct from the species that infects rats and other mammals.

The problem is that it's very difficult to retrieve all articles
linked to this new taxon because the uptake of the new name is not
comprehensive.

Since the 2002 article over 680 publications in PubMed reference P.
jiroveci however also in that time 985 articles were published that
reference  Pneumocystic carinii.  Since the species still exists
perhaps they all refer to this narrower version of carinii.    PubMed,
however, allows me to narrow this search result only to articles
relating to humans.    This leaves me with 742 articles.

This means that to retrieve articles on this taxon via PubMed you need
to search for "Pneumocystic jiroveci"  AND ("Pneumocystic carinii"
with a limit to HUMAN published since 2002),  since P. carinii still
exists and infects other mammals and existed sensu lato prior to 2002.

Unique taxon identifiers would eliminate this problem.  In the
meantime it's a good thing they have a decent informatics framework at
the National Library of Medicine.

David R