Redhead, Scott Scott.Redhead at AGR.GC.CA
Tue Apr 13 10:40:26 CDT 2010

Hello Paul. I know this topic of Pneumocystis names is of some importance to you but for the Taxacom group perhaps a bit more background is needed.

the topic and a literature review was discussed at length by us in 2006 in:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16441572

and again in
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19558583

and was discussed by David Hawksworth in the Lancet, Infect. dis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17182335

Basically there are two schools of thought in regard to the usage of the name Pneumocystis carinii versus P. jirovecii for the human pathogen, and in preparation of a possible conservation proposal to maintain the name P. carinii for the human pathogen to present to the Committee for Fungi, as you suggested, I ran into the opposing school, and also needed to sort out the typifications and validity of names. It would still be possible to put forward a conservation proposal, but nobody has done so. It probably wouldn't succeed however one never knows until it is tried.

If there is to be a discussion on Taxacom, this literature should at least be read.

My best, as usual.

Scott

Scott A. Redhead, Ph.D.
Curator - National Mycological Herbarium / Curator de l'herbier mycologique national
Research Scientist / Chercheur scientifique
Biodiversity (Mycology and Botany) / Biodiversité (Mycologie et Botanique) Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada 960 Carling Avenue/960 Carling Avenue Neatby Bldg./ Edifice de Neatby Ottawa, Ontario/Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0C6

Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1384
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1599
scott.redhead at agr.gc.ca