dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Tue Apr 13 11:11:39 CDT 2010

Van: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu namens Paul Kirk
Verzonden: di 13-4-2010 16:20

> Thanks for your input David ... by a strange quirk in the Code only
> typified names which have been used in a sense excluding the type
> are subject to mandatory conservation proposals - e.g. by changing
> the type to protect current usage -

***
This refers to Art 57.1
"57.1.  A name that has been widely and persistently used for
a taxon or taxa not including its type is not to be used
in a sense that conflicts with current usage unless and
until a proposal to deal with it under Art. 14.1 or 56.1
has been submitted and rejected."

In this regard, the question is not so much whether a taxon is
typified or untypified, but whether the matter can be set right
by no more trouble than a retypification. In that case it makes
sense to require a formal examination of such a retypification.
This is not quirky.

For other cases it surely is desirable to be careful to preserve
current usage as much as possible, but there is a wide range of
potential problems, so I guess it is understandable that there
are no detailed provisions to cover them. Personally I think it
would have been nice if there would have been at least a general
recommendation to actively consider submitting a proposal
to conserve or reject.

Paul van Rijckevorsel
* * *

_____