muscapaul muscapaul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 04:11:48 CDT 2010

We will all learn to deal with it, one way or the other. The British in the
end learned to deal with a metric monetary system and even the weather
forecasts use degrees Celcius. The huge part of Europe learned to deal with
the Euro (albeit grudgingly). They are facts of life. Sophophora
melanogaster remains the same species and even though people will use a
different name, it remains the same species (a huge advantage over the
Pneumocystis case). Perhaps we learn to be a bit more critical in the use of
the name 'Drosophila' as well, as I think there will be many cases where
information is cited for 'Drosophila' where melanogaster was assumed
implicitely but which may not relate really to melanogaster but to another
species.

As taxonomist/entomologist this case to me is like any other. Any decision
will result in a lot of work and will disrupt searches in literature and
database, etc. Opposed to the thousands of future searches for Sophophora
rather than Drosophila are also many that would have to go to another
generic name that would have had to replace the present Drosophila s.str.
Lumping the lot in one supergenus has the same result (no more Idiomyia,
Scaptomyza, Zaprionus, etc.). Allowing a paraphyletic Drosophila might be
appealing to some extent but it would leave the door open for any taxonomist
to split of a part of the the paraphyletic Drosophila at any time. If this
matter is not now dealt with in a coordinated fashion, any taxonomist could
leave his mark on drosophilid nomenclature by just splitting of Sophophora
without any comment. Better deal with it now, though I hope there will be
good morphological characters to support any new division. As expressed
earlier, it is not very practical if these characters are in male genitalia
only, but there are other cases where a split has made sense intuitively,
even though there are few other unambiguous characters than those in the
male genitalia that define (diagnose) the taxa.

Paul