Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 16:36:50 CDT 2010

Is it just me, or will the real lesson be that identifiers (e.g.,
taxonomic names) that are designed to convey information on
relationships (i.e., to which genus a species belongs) are
fundamentally a very bad idea if our idea of relationship can change.

I think the bright kids at school will ask how on Earth did we come up
with such a fragile system?

Regards

Rod

On 15 Apr 2010, at 22:05, Jim Croft wrote:

> this name change is going to be the best thing that has happened to
> taxonomy since Linnaeus.
>
> from now on, every school text book that mentions the most highly
> studied organism in the planet will have to include an explanation on
> scientific names an why they sometimes need to change.
>
> bring it on!
>
> jim
>

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:15 AM, David Remsen (GBIF) <dremsen at gbif.org
> > wrote:
>> Some of my concerns regarding the ease of addressing this are:
>>
>> 1. Most people who reference scientific names are not familiar with
>> the reality or the reasoning of name changes so wouldn't think of
>> looking up a name change
>
> [... yada yada yada yada deleted :) ]
>
> jim
>
> --
> _________________
> Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~
> http://www.google.com/profiles/jim.croft
> 'A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point
> of doubtful sanity.'
> - Robert Frost, poet (1874-1963)

> of these methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/
> pipermail/taxacom  your search terms here

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
DEEB, FBLS
Graham Kerr Building