Gary Rosenberg rosenberg at ansp.org
Thu Apr 15 18:41:12 CDT 2010

We already have that system. Anyone who wishes to can cite a species by its original binomen, and then state what the current classification is.

Gary Rosenberg
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia

>>> "Sharkey, Michael J" <msharkey at uky.edu> 4/15/2010 6:04 PM >>>
I agree Rod; it is a very bad idea. The generic rank has duel functions that are not compatible, identification (information retrieval) and phylogeny. These should be decoupled. We don't need to wait for our kids to solve the problem. The solution is rather simple.
1. Pick a date, like Jan, 1, 2012, to fix all species level names and species described from that point on would retain the name in the original description (except for homonyms).
2. Create a new rank (perhaps call it  "Hennig") that is immediately above the genus rank, and let it take on the phylogenetic functions of the present genus rank. Thus on Jan. 1, 2012 all species would have identical genus and "Hennig" names but the Hennig name would float with phylogenetic insights and the genus name would be permanent.
Mike
Michael Sharkey
Department of Entomology
University of Kentucky