Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Thu Apr 15 19:56:21 CDT 2010

Sharkey, Michael J wrote:
> The generic rank has duel functions that are not compatible, identification (information retrieval) and phylogeny. These should be decoupled. We don't need to wait for our kids to solve the problem. The solution is rather simple.
> 1. Pick a date, like Jan, 1, 2012, to fix all species level names and species described from that point on would retain the name in the original description (except for homonyms).

* been there, done that, didn't even get a tee-shirt.

Rising, James D., and Frederick W.  Schueler.  1972.  How stable is
binominal nomenclature?  Systematic Zoology 21:438-439.

fred.

> 2. Create a new rank (perhaps call it  "Hennig") that is immediately above the genus rank, and let it take on the phylogenetic functions of the present genus rank. Thus on Jan. 1, 2012 all species would have identical genus and "Hennig" names but the Hennig name would float with phylogenetic insights and the genus name would be permanent.

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition - http://pinicola.ca/thirty/
Longterm ecological monitoring - http://fragileinheritance.ca/
Portraits of light - http://www.aletakarstad.com/