[Taxacom] identification of the 'miracle' Latin Seed?

Karen Wilson Karen.Wilson at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au
Thu Apr 15 20:30:52 CDT 2010

Has anyone come across the seed being hailed as a miracle weight-loss solution (yet another one!)?
It's been brought to our attention at the Gardens. It is being sold in Australia as the 'Latin Seed' and websites are also using the name 'Nuez de la India'.
It is said to be a native of Brazil or SE Asia (and then cultivated in Brazil), depending on which site you look at.

It has been named in the sales blurb here as Aleurites moluccana, but it's not like any Aleurites moluccana that we know - that species is native here, and the seeds are sold here as Candlenuts or Kemiri. These seeds are much flatter than Aleurites moluccana and have a scurfy surface.
There's a picture of these 'Latin seeds' at http://images04.olx.cl/ui/2/17/19/19000819_1.jpg - and I found numerous others by entering 'nuez de la india' in Google Images, as well as images of cashews, also known as Nuez de la India in Latin America.

We'd be pleased to hear from anyone who knows what species this seed really belongs to - off-line is probably best to my address below.

Regards
Karen Wilson

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Karen L. Wilson, AM  |  Senior Research Scientist  Plant Diversity Section  |  National Herbarium of NSW  |  Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, Mrs Macquaries Road, SYDNEY NSW 2000, AUSTRALIA

Adjunct Assoc Prof, University of New England
Secretary-General XVIII IBC Organising Committee - to take place in Melbourne July 2011
Phone: +61 2 9231 8137  |  Fax: +61 2  9251 7231  |  email: karen.wilson at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au  |  website: www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au

The Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust is part of Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water  (NSW).
This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (NSW) or the Botanic Gardens Trust Sydney.

This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it immediately.
Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Department of Environment, Climate Change & Water NSW.