Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au
Thu Apr 15 20:49:10 CDT 2010

The numbers will depend on how you do the search. Are you looking for 'Drosophila' (genus name only), 'Drosophila melanogaster' (genus and species, though not necessarily together), or '"Drosophila melanogaster"' (the binomial)? I think the numbers reported before were based on using the binomials.

Anyway, if using just the genus name, "Bombyx", with 7,380,000 hits, still beats "Drosophila".

Some other entries with over 600,000 include "Hordeum vulgare" (644,000) and "Gylcine max" (782,000).

Eric Zurcher
CSIRO Plant Industry
Canberra, Australia
Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au