[Taxacom] Sophophora: Database issues

Kim van der Linde kim at kimvdlinde.com
Thu Apr 15 20:53:33 CDT 2010

During the debate on renaming Drosophila melanogaster to Sophophora
melanogaster, one argument made for the retention of Drosophila
melanogaster is that it is a problem with databases. Despite my
preference to preserve that name, I do not think this is a major
argument in favor of retaining the name.

Just consider Google. A substantial number of searchers for a specific
word will not only give you back the exact search term, but also related
terms, for example shorter versions of the word, or British-American
spelling variants. This is an extremely useful feature for a search engine.

When Sophophora melanogaster becomes reality, the database search
problem can be resolved in a similar manner. And that means, that the
name search problem will be rather limited and generally not much more
than a technical issue that can be resolved rather simply, especially
with search engines like google etc.

The main problem with databases is the older databases that are not
updated anymore, or for which the administrators are not willing to add
this capacity.

Kim

--
http://www.kimvdlinde.com