Stephen Gaimari SGaimari at cdfa.ca.gov
Thu Apr 15 20:57:12 CDT 2010

To add to the million+ club,
Vitis vinifera (grape) - just over 1 million.

>>From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu [mailto:taxacom->>bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Kim van der Linde
>>
>>Well, Drosophila has 5,850,000 hits.... Which would make the number 3.

If you want to talk genera...

Bacillus - 8.25 million
Citrus - over 25 million
Velociraptor - 3 million
Cannabis - 13.7 million
Ginkgo - 4 million
Prunus - over 3 million
Canis - 5.4 million
Felis - 13 million
Gallus - 3.7 million

Point is, neither Drosophila nor Drosophila melanogaster are unique. There are plenty of other taxa out there that would be "disrupted" due to a change in generic combination (and this term "name change" for this drives me nuts - it is simply a change in combination - if it was found to be a junior homonym, we could talk about "name changes"). Hits on google don't determine the necessity for nomenclatural acts.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Stephen D. Gaimari
Program Supervisor (Entomology)

Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
California Department of Food and Agriculture
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832, USA

Tel. 916-262-1131, Fax 916-262-1190
E-mail sgaimari at cdfa.ca.gov