[Taxacom] well-known names (was: Drosophila melanogaster name change?)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 15 23:27:26 CDT 2010

Eric Zurcher wrote:

>This is a rather enjoyable game...

And it depends on how you play it, too - using Google and ONLY
putting the binomials in quotes (so exact matches are required), I get

Bombyx mori: 7,310,000
Staphylococcus aureus: 3,660,000
Zea mays: 1,960,000
Drosophila melanogaster: 1,940,000
Caenorhabditis elegans: 1,850,000
Oryza sativa: 1,840,000
Vitis vinifera: 1,070,000
Triticum aestivum: 1,020,000
Aedes aegypti: 984,000
Glycine max: 923,000
Phaseolus vulgaris: 911,000
Pan troglodytes: 863,000
Gallus gallus: 783,000
Pisum sativum: 755,000
Bacillus thuringiensis: 750,000
Hordeum vulgare: 743,000
Solanum tuberosum: 725,000
Nicotiana tabacum: 658,000
Sus scrofa: 652,000
Cannabis sativa: 640,000
Danio rerio: 636,000
Streptococcus pyogenes: 625,000
Brassica napus: 619,000

Note that this includes Eric's candidates, and some of Francisco's,
with some very different results. What's also interesting is that the
cat, horse, goat, and sheep don't make the cut, out of all the common
domestic animals, nor do several of the more common birds (sparrow,
crow, raven, pigeon, starling, robin), nor any commercially or
culturally significant fish, reptiles, or amphibians, nor any of the
well-known tree fruits (apples, oranges, cherries, pears, peaches).
Only one insect pest makes the cut, plus two beneficials (Drosophila
melanogaster only appears - as #10 in my list - because it is a lab
animal, as are the fish and amphibian).

Peace,