Stephen Gaimari SGaimari at cdfa.ca.gov
Thu Apr 15 23:56:19 CDT 2010

Don't assume that makes all of these combinations somehow safe. They could end up placed in a different genus with an older name. This of course happens all the time, and science moves on. Do you think that each time a popular combination (or a popular genus) is threatened by a generic synonymy or by the phylogenetic hypothesis du jour, that it should become a matter of ICZN action to preserve it? I think that specifically is contrary to the principle of nomenclatural stability.
Cheers,
Steve