David Remsen (GBIF) dremsen at gbif.org
Fri Apr 16 01:01:59 CDT 2010

While the sample size is smaller the uBioRSS application ranks the top-
cited species in any taxonomic group in 155,000+ articles published by
a large set (~1000) academic journals.   The entire Catalogue of Life
forms the set of matched names.     An expanded version of this with
more journal sources and perhaps a few other database RSS feeds would
probably provide a more relevant ranking.

http://www.ubio.org/rss/     (be prepared for slow performance)

For all organisms the ranking is

1) Escherichia coli
2) Arabidopsis thaliana
3) Drosophila melanogaster
4) Saccharomyces cerevisiae
5) Homo sapiens
6) Caenorhabditis elegans
7) Zea mays
8) Pseudomonas aeruginosa
9) Glycine max
10) Oryza sativa

For the insects it is

1) Drosophila melanogaster
2) Apis mellifera
3) Anopheles gambiae
4) Aedes albopictus
5) Bombyx mori
6) Manduca sexta
7) Drosophila simulans
8) Plutella xylostella
9) Myzus persicae
10) Culex quinquefasciatus

For plants it is

1) Arabidopsis thaliana
2) Zea mays
3) Triticum aestivum
4) Oryza sativa
5) Glycine max
6) Brassica napus
7) Hordeum vulgare
8) Phaseolus vulgaris
9) Gossypium hirsutum
10) Medicago sativa

Thanks again to Rod Page for the concept idea back in 2005.   The app
is quite slow and sorely in need of an upgrade which is only now
getting some attention.

David R