bti at dsmz.de bti at dsmz.de
Fri Apr 16 02:34:37 CDT 2010

In looking at the top hits I can only comment:
1) that the prokaryote genus name Bacillus is a known homonym of an
insect name. The insect genus name is older - to date no-one has
suggested that one should change the genus name used in prokaryotes,
although there are massive re-arrangements in the prokatyote genus
that will eventually reduce the number of species in the prokaryote
genus Bacillus to a significantly smaller number. This is actually in
line with what was written over 100 years ago.

2) Bacillus cereus - probably should be removed from the (prokaryote)
genus Bacillus, but is linked to the other problem of Bacillus cereus
- Bacillus thuringiensis - Bacillus anthracis (the cause of plague)
may well be a single species, the older name is Bacillus anthracis,
but since Bacillus thuringiensis is used in insect control and
Bacillus cereus is only rarely involved in cases of food poisoning one
could well have a problem if one labeled them all Bacillus anthracis.

3) The genus Escherichia overlaps with the genus Shigella (Shigella
dysenteriae causes dysentery) and the two should be unified. Both
names were originally published in the same book and the genus name
Shigella appears on an earlier page in that book.

Brian

Quoting "David Remsen (GBIF)" <dremsen at gbif.org>:

> While the sample size is smaller the uBioRSS application ranks the top-
> cited species in any taxonomic group in 155,000+ articles published by
> a large set (~1000) academic journals.   The entire Catalogue of Life
> forms the set of matched names.     An expanded version of this with
> more journal sources and perhaps a few other database RSS feeds would
> probably provide a more relevant ranking.
>
> http://www.ubio.org/rss/     (be prepared for slow performance)
>
> For all organisms the ranking is
>
> 1) Escherichia coli
> 2) Arabidopsis thaliana
> 3) Drosophila melanogaster
> 4) Saccharomyces cerevisiae
> 5) Homo sapiens
> 6) Caenorhabditis elegans
> 7) Zea mays
> 8) Pseudomonas aeruginosa
> 9) Glycine max
> 10) Oryza sativa
>
> For the insects it is
>
> 1) Drosophila melanogaster
> 2) Apis mellifera
> 3) Anopheles gambiae
> 4) Aedes albopictus
> 5) Bombyx mori
> 6) Manduca sexta
> 7) Drosophila simulans
> 8) Plutella xylostella
> 9) Myzus persicae
> 10) Culex quinquefasciatus
>
> For plants it is
>
> 1) Arabidopsis thaliana
> 2) Zea mays
> 3) Triticum aestivum
> 4) Oryza sativa
> 5) Glycine max
> 6) Brassica napus
> 7) Hordeum vulgare
> 8) Phaseolus vulgaris
> 9) Gossypium hirsutum
> 10) Medicago sativa
>

> Thanks again to Rod Page for the concept idea back in 2005.   The app
> is quite slow and sorely in need of an upgrade which is only now
> getting some attention.
>
> David R
>

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:47 AM, Neal Evenhuis wrote:
>
>> At 2:11 PM -1000 4/15/10, Francisco Welter-Schultes wrote:
>>>
>>> I cannot say which is the "highest studied" organism, but I did a
>>> quick research in Google for the most frequently mentioned organisms.
>>>
>>> Homo sapiens		25.100.000
>>> Escherichia coli 	8.350.000
>>> Mus musculus		4.110.000
>>> Caenorhabditis elegans	1.720.000
>>> Saccharomyces cerevisiae 2.710.000
>>> Trypanosoma brucei	2.570.000
>>> Arabidopsis thaliana 	2.000.000
>>> Oryza sativa		1.720.000
>>> Drosophila melanogaster 1.550.000
>>> Zea mays		1.550.000
>>> Tyrannosaurus rex	  985.000
>>> Rattus norvegicus	939.000
>>> Bos taurus		913.000
>>> Xenopus laevis		884.000
>>> Aedes aegypti		826.000
>>> Plasmodium falciparum	819.000
>>>
>>> I did not find any other name above 600.000.
>>> Drosophila melanogaster ranks at number 9.
>>>

>> Francisco,
>>
>> I'd be interested in your search protocol as I believe you just
> [...]

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)