Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Apr 16 15:17:09 CDT 2010

Brian Tindall wrote:

>In looking at the top hits I can only comment:
>1) that the prokaryote genus name Bacillus is a known homonym of an
>insect name.

These are pseudo-homonyms, as they are governed by different
Nomenclatural Codes. There is no conflict.

>3) The genus Escherichia overlaps with the genus Shigella (Shigella
>dysenteriae causes dysentery) and the two should be unified. Both
>names were originally published in the same book and the genus name
>Shigella appears on an earlier page in that book.

I may be reading between the lines, but it sounds like you may
believe that there is such a thing as "page priority". There is not,
at least not in the Zoological Code. The first reviser chooses which
of two (or more) simultaneously-published names is to be used as
valid, and they are - and always have been - free to choose the name
that appears last. "Page priority" is one of the most prevalent
"urban legends" surrounding the Code. I doubt it is any different for
prokaryotes.

Peace,