Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 15:58:18 CDT 2010

Page priority: not so much an urban legend, I think, as a relict from an earlier edition of the Code.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Doug Yanega <dyanega at ucr.edu> wrote:

[...]

3) The genus Escherichia overlaps with the genus Shigella (Shigella
dysenteriae causes dysentery) and the two should be unified. Both
names were originally published in the same book and the genus name
Shigella appears on an earlier page in that book.

I may be reading between the lines, but it sounds like you may
believe that there is such a thing as "page priority". There is not,
at least not in the Zoological Code. The first reviser chooses which
of two (or more) simultaneously-published names is to be used as
valid, and they are - and always have been - free to choose the name
that appears last. "Page priority" is one of the most prevalent
"urban legends" surrounding the Code.