Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Apr 16 16:59:50 CDT 2010

Barry Roth wrote:

>Page priority: not so much an urban legend, I think, as a relict
>from an earlier edition of the Code.

I have the 1961 Code, and it is demonstrably NOT in that version; it
is only a minor clause within a recommendation (Rec. 24A in the 1961
Edition), and I'm not aware of it ever having been otherwise. The
principle of the First Reviser, has, at least since 1961, been that
the reviser is free to choose, and page priority is therefore
immaterial, though a reviser is free to use that criterion for
situations where all other things are equal. Given that the 1961
version is the first published Code version, I'd be curious to know
which older edition you had in mind. ;-)

Peace,