bti at dsmz.de bti at dsmz.de
Sun Apr 18 04:19:45 CDT 2010

Doug,
The question of homonyms depends on which Code you are looking at. In
checking up on the topic of "independance" in the current zoological
code (article 1.4, recommendation 1A) it would also appear that the
zoological code tries to avoid the use of "identical names". However,
the Bacteriological Code goes beyond the "Approved Lists" (published
1980) and we have names that are (Bacteriological) Code compliant
published post 1980. The Bacteriological Code is also not independant
of other Codes.

I didn't actually specifically mention page priority, just that the
two names were in the same publication, with one name appearing on an
earlier page. The rest you added "between the lines". Post 1976 things
are also different under the Bacteriological Code.

Brian

Quoting Doug Yanega <dyanega at ucr.edu>:

> Brian Tindall wrote:
>
>> In looking at the top hits I can only comment:
>> 1) that the prokaryote genus name Bacillus is a known homonym of an
>> insect name.
>
> These are pseudo-homonyms, as they are governed by different
> Nomenclatural Codes. There is no conflict.
>
>> 3) The genus Escherichia overlaps with the genus Shigella (Shigella
>> dysenteriae causes dysentery) and the two should be unified. Both
>> names were originally published in the same book and the genus name
>> Shigella appears on an earlier page in that book.
>
> I may be reading between the lines, but it sounds like you may
> believe that there is such a thing as "page priority". There is not,
> at least not in the Zoological Code. The first reviser chooses which
> of two (or more) simultaneously-published names is to be used as
> valid, and they are - and always have been - free to choose the name
> that appears last. "Page priority" is one of the most prevalent
> "urban legends" surrounding the Code. I doubt it is any different for
> prokaryotes.
>
> Peace,
> --
>
> Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
> Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
> phone: (951) 827-4315 (standard disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
>               http://cache.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html
>    "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>          is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

> of these methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)