[Taxacom] Branchiobdellida (leeches?, oligochaetes?, or stem annelids?)

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Sun Apr 18 22:21:59 CDT 2010

Dear Ken,

I imagine there is most likely some more recent literature on this, but in case it helps, here is some text from the relevant chapter by Siddall et al. in "Assembling the Tree of Life" (Cracraft & Donohue eds., 2004), discussing results form nuclear and mitochondrial gene sequences:

[p. 244]

"... the results of this cooperative phylogenetic work was the unambiguous validation of Livanow's (1906, 1931) assertions that Branchiobdellidans and Acanthobdella share a recent common ancestor with leeches, which together form the sister lineage to the lumbriculid ologichaetes (fig. 15.6)."

I can send you a copy of the cited figure if you are interested.

Regards,

Tony Rees
Hobart