[Taxacom] Family Chilodontidae - unresolved homonym in Characiformes and Gastropoda?

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Thu Apr 22 02:49:54 CDT 2010

Dear Taxacomers, Bill,

I have just recently encountered apparent homonymy between the family Chilodontidae Wenz, 1938 in Gastropoda and the same family name in fishes (Characiformes), for which I do not currently know the author and year. There does not appear to be any ICZN application or ruling on this issue, which I find somewhat surprising, and neither seems to be a misspelling. Can anyone clarify which would be the senior homonym, and / or shed any further light on this particular instance or what may/may not be required to be done to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,