[Taxacom] Family Chilodontidae - unresolved homonym in Characiformes and Gastropoda?

Robert Mill R.Mill at rbge.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 05:17:26 CDT 2010

Chilodus is a compound of Greek odus, tooth for which the stem is indeed odont- . See Stearn's Botanical Latin, page 269 of the fourth edition (1992) which I am using. (It's just as useful for zoology as it is for botany!). Other editions may vary slightly in page number but you will find "odus, odontos" listed in the vocabulary of Greek Word Elements at the end of Chapter XIX, "Greek Words in Botanical Latin".

"Chilodidae", if based on Chilodus, is therefore wrongly formed and the correct form of this family name is indeed Chilodontidae.

Best wishes, Robert

Dr Robert Mill
Gymnosperm Systematist
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh