[Taxacom] Family Chilodontidae - unresolved homonym inCharaciformes and Gastropoda?

Gary Rosenberg rosenberg at ansp.org
Thu Apr 22 12:34:58 CDT 2010

The mollusk name is based on Chilodonta Etallon, 1862, not Chilodon Ehrenberg, 1831. It was named as Chilodontinae Wenz, 1938. The fish family was named as Chilodinae Eigenmann, 1912 (Memoirs of the Carnegie Museum 5: 271, http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/32845#305. It was emended to Chilodontidae by Fowler 1950, Arquivos de Zoologia 6: 214.

There was a protist family Chilodontidae, used as early as 1876, but apparently abandoned, perhaps because Chilodon Ehrenberg, 1834 was preoccupied by Ehrenberg, 1831. The protist Chilodon replaced by Chilodonella, which is currently(?) placed in Chlamydodontidae.

The next available name for the mollusk family is Cataeginae McLean & Quinn, 1987, but it refers to a different subfamily. No other name is available for the nominotypical subfamily. The best course might be to use Chilodidae for the fish family. Chilodinae and Chilodidae have about 20% of the usage (they combine for 89 hits in Google books, compared to 326 for Chilodontidae or Chilodontinae minus Wenz or Trochidae (a family related to Chilodontidae).

Gary Rosenberg
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia

>>> Doug Yanega <dyanega at ucr.edu> 4/22/2010 11:55 AM >>>
>Dear Taxacomers, Bill,
>
>I have just recently encountered apparent homonymy between the
>family Chilodontidae Wenz, 1938 in Gastropoda and the same family
>name in fishes (Characiformes), for which I do not currently know
>the author and year.

It took a long time before the mollusc name (Chilodon) was given a
family rank, then, since it dates to 1831. The fish name Chilodus
dates to 1844, and I'd be utterly amazed if it was never used at
family rank prior to 1938. Definitely sounds like something for the
Commission, and I expect the mollusc name will need to be altered.

Peace,

(1) http://taxacom.markmail.org