[Taxacom] Family Chilodontidae - unresolved homonyminCharaciformes and Gastropoda?

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Apr 23 11:41:18 CDT 2010

Gary Rosenberg wrote:

>Chilodontidae is a justified emendation, so it dates from the
>original publication as Chilodidae in 1912 (ICZN Code Article 19.2).
>Chilodidae should not be used for the fish family, because it is not
>in prevailing usage (Article 29.5). Chilodontidae should be used for
>both families; resolution of the homonymy in this set of
>circumstances requires an ICZN ruling (Article 55.3).

I agree with Gary's interpretation of this case, exactly as stated
above. While the Code does not operate on precedent, a recent case
involving two family names "Dasypodidae" ended up being resolved by
taking the junior name and declaring the entire genus name to be the
"stem", so the genus Dasypoda is now the type genus of the family
Dasypodaidae (the other genus was Dasypus). A similar approach in
this case would lead the mollusc family to become Chilodontaidae.
That might be the least disruptive approach.

It will require some interested parties to take time to carefully
document the history of the usage of both names, and prepare a formal
submission to the ICZN, but it's necessary. Gary's already done a
fair bit of the crucial stuff above. ;-)

Sincerely,