[Taxacom] Family Chilodontidae - unresolved homonym

Gary Rosenberg rosenberg at ansp.org
Mon Apr 26 12:32:11 CDT 2010

As I said in a previous message, the protist name dates back to 1876 or earlier (specifically, Macalister 1876 ( http://books.google.com/books?id=bvAqAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA71&dq=Chilodontidae&lr=&as_drrb_is=b&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=1800&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=1876&as_brr=0&cd=1#v=onepage&q=Chilodontidae&f=false )). It does not complicate matters much, because it is permanently invalid, being based on a genus name that is a junior homonym, Chilodon Ehrenberg 1834, not Ehrenberg 1831 (Article 39).

Gary Rosenberg
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia

Dan Lahr wrote:

>I'm a bit confused. Why is Chilodontidae not pre-occupied by the
>ciliate family name? At the time these were treated as animals
>(Infusoria), insn't this provisioned by Article 2? I know it gets more
>complicated when protists come into the picture, but that is where my
>interest lies...

And this is something remarkably obscure which I certainly missed,
and - I presume - Gary did, as well. Even after you indicated the
existence of this group, I can only track down three "Chilodontidae"
Google hits out of 9410 that refer to protists, only two of which are
in English.

Assuming that you are correct about them being considered animals at
the time the name was proposed, and about the suprageneric usage
predating 1912 (and assuming that no ICZN ruling has already treated
this case), then yes, Art. 2.2 does indicate that such a name must be
considered for purposes of homonymy, and yes, this complicates the
issue.

Ken Kinman added:

>        Doug, although there is clearly no totally  non-disruptive
>solution in this case, I am skeptical that "Chilodontaidae" might be the
>least disruptive.  I suspect that Chilodidae is indeed the best choice
>for the fish family, given that taxon's original description and naming.

It is generally not the case that the senior homonym is the one that
is changed in order to conserve the junior homonym, which is what you
are proposing. In fact, since you are proposing to suppress the
protist name, you are suggesting that the juniormost of the three
homonyms be the one to keep "Chilodontidae". It's not that it
couldn't be done - the Plenary Power can do virtually anything - but
making a persuasive case for doing so might be a challenge. From what
I can glean from online usage, the vast majority of those 9410
occurrences of Chilodontidae refer to the fish, suggesting that
*overall* stability might best be served by allowing the fish to keep
the name (note that there are only 83 hits for Chilodidae, at least a
few of which are traceable to pre-1950 references).

This promises to be an interesting case when it comes to the Commission.

Sincerely,