[Taxacom] Job announcement - Team leader for BHL-Europe
Henning.Scholz at mfn-berlin.de
Fri Feb 26 10:59:50 CST 2010
The lack of access to the published biodiversity literature is a major obstacle to efficient research and a broad range of other applications, including education, biodiversity conservation, protected area management, disease control, and maintenance of diverse ecosystems services. This literature also has cultural importance as a resource for the study of the history of science, art and other non-science applications. Currently, a large number of small projects are digitising biodiversity material in numerous institutions across the EU to make access more open, but the corpus will still be seriously fragmented. These projects do not use common standards or interfaces and are not interoperable. In alignment with the EC i2010 initiative, the project "Biodiversity Heritage Library for Europe" (BHL-Europe) aims to make the biodiversity knowledge available to everybody who is interested by improving the interoperability of European biodiversity digital libraries.
BHL-Europe will review and test different approaches for such libraries based on the experiences of the partners involved in the project. The consortium will establish a best practice approach and promote the adoption of standards and specifications for the large-scale implementation in a real-life context. BHL-Europe will provide a multilingual access point for search and retrieval of digital content through EUROPEANA. In addition, it will provide a robust multilingual portal with sophisticated search tools to facilitate the search for taxon-specific biodiversity information. The project will also develop operational strategies and processes for long-term preservation and sustainability of the data produced by national biodiversity digitisation programmes. BHL-Europe will generate activities to raise awareness and to ensure that the project outputs are known and used by the target users and that the proposed approach directly addresses user needs. BHL-Europe experience and best practice will be shared with the wider digital library community.
The Museum für Naturkunde Berlin is leading this project carried out within the eContentplus programme of the European Commission and is looking for a
Team Leader and ICT specialist
code number 19/2010
- Salary group according to individual qualifications between salary level IIa and Ib BAT-O
- From 1st of April 2010
- Position limited until April 30, 2012
- Full-time position
- Lead the work package "Analysis of domain content and management of the content acquisition process" of BHL-Europe
- Develop, enhance and maintain bibliographic informatics and metadata exposure tools
- Support and coordinate the development and implementation of integrative workflows, tools and interfaces for the ingestion and presentation of digitised content
- Coordinate with the other work packages, related networks, and scanning centres
- Responsible for Fundraising activities to set up scanning projects.
- Completed Diploma/Master in informatics or qualifications in related subjects
- Experience with open source programming languages (e.g. PHP, Perl), database programming (e.g. MySQL), markup languages (e.g. HTML, XML, XSLT), Web site development, OAI interface development, and development of tools based on Web 2.0 technologies
- Experience with library specific skills (e.g. metadata management, standards, workflows, OPAC)
- Experience of managing and developing digital resources (e.g. bibliographic datasets)
- Knowledge of Open Access developments; Project management skills (incl. MS Project)
- Fluent in English and German
- Excellent team working, inter-personal and communication skills
- Understanding and communicating the needs of users within a specialist research environment
- Experience with library specific fundraising (e.g. DFG, EU).
Museum für Naturkunde is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the advancement of individuals without regard to ethnicity, religion, sex, age, disability or any other protected Status.
For further Information please contact Dr. Henning Scholz, henning.scholz at mfn-berlin.de, ++49-30-2093-8864
Applications are accepted in English and German and should be sent under code number 19/2010 within 2 weeks (March 10, 2010) to
Museum für Naturkunde
Leibniz-Institut für Evolutions- und Biodiversitätsforschung an der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
z. H. Frau Heilmann
Dr. Henning Scholz
Museum für Naturkunde
Leibniz Institute for Research on Evolution and Biodiversity at the Humboldt University Berlin
NEW Email: henning.scholz at mfn-berlin.de (please update your directory)
More information about the Taxacom