[Taxacom] HHDB: hemihomonyms

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Mon Jan 18 11:27:13 CST 2010

> Sounds a gruelling process. I guess this is one reason why big
> projects don't scale linearly -- throwing 10x as much money at
> something doesn't get you 10x the results.
Certainly. But with 1/10th of the money you can't do it either.

Creating pizza is no option for a library. Interconnecting with
databases that provide such tools is something else.
BHL currently digitizes until 1920. The published geographical data
background in the previous times is not so accurate. What would be
your GPS record for "in Indiis"?

An important step would be going beyond 1920. Librarians alone will
not be able to make pressure for politicians changing copyright laws
for scientific literature. I'd wish there were people in the
bioscientific community getting themselves in positions where they
have decisive influence on such political decisions. They would merit
the Nobel prize. For literature...

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org