[Taxacom] New synapomorphy for humans and orangutans

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Mon Jan 4 12:05:43 CST 2010

I am aware that molecular clock methods assume gradualism, but I was not
aware that cladistic methods necessitate gradualism of neutral traits.
and therefore,

> e.g., 3 traits are more informative than two. What if the 3 traits are
> selected on as a package for some particular environment?

Yes - what if?

> I think this is common.

But who knows?

Then the two traits, if accumulated through drift, would be more
> telling of evolutionary relationships.

> The best model of evolution is the "natural key" to taxa that
incorporates
> morphological and molecular cluster analyses when available. This
takes
> into account both synapomorphies (weighted separately for each node)
and
> autapomorphies.

And of course I would disagree that is necessarily so as per various
earlier postings and debates.

John Grehan