[Taxacom] Vitis vinifera nomenclature

jbb31 at duke.edu jbb31 at duke.edu
Mon Jan 11 10:20:57 CST 2010

Greetings,

I'm writing to ask about the proper intraspecific nomenclature of the wine
grape.

Flora Europea lists the cultivated form as Vitis vinifera L. subsp. vinifera,
and the cultivated form as Vitis vinifera L. subsp. sylvestris (C.C. Gmelin)
Hegi.  Unfortunately IPNI does not list the latter name as a subspecies, only
listing Vitis sylvestris C.C. Gmel.

As one would imagine, the taxonomy of this species is complex.  Has anyone
written specifically on the issue of Vitis vinifera nomenclature?  That would
save me some time tracking down varied literature.

Thanks!
James

--
James Beck
Department of Biology

"Choose your enemies carefully 'cause they will define you."
-U2 "Cedars of Lebanon" (2009)