[Taxacom] Vitis vinifera nomenclature

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Mon Jan 11 10:37:54 CST 2010

At 10:20 AM 1/11/2010, jbb31 at duke.edu wrote:
>Flora Europea lists the cultivated form as Vitis vinifera L. subsp. vinifera,
>and the cultivated form as Vitis vinifera L. subsp. sylvestris (C.C. Gmelin)
>Hegi.  Unfortunately IPNI does not list the latter name as a subspecies, only
>listing Vitis sylvestris C.C. Gmel.

IPNI lacks a great many infraspecific names because Index Kewensis did not
include them.  I suspect the Hegi name is from Gustav Hegi,

Illustrierte Flora von Mittel-Europa.

There were numerous infraspecific names validated there in Campanulaceae.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor
Curator of the Neil A. Harriman Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
800 Algoma Blvd.
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA