[Taxacom] Vitis vinifera nomenclature

Kirkbride, Joseph Joseph.Kirkbride at ARS.USDA.GOV
Mon Jan 11 11:20:32 CST 2010

For nomenclature of economically important plant taxa, the first place
to always look is GRIN Taxonomy:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxfam.pl

For Vitis vinifera L. subsp. sylvestris (C.C. Gmel.) Hegi, the URL is:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?409301

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr.
USDA-ARS, U.S. National Arboretum
Floral & Nursery Plants Research Unit
3501 New York Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002-1958 USA
Tel.: 202-245-4534
FAX: 202-245-4579
E-mail: joseph.kirkbride at ars.usda.gov
-----Original Message-----
From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
[mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Thomas G.
Lammers
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 11:38 AM
To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Vitis vinifera nomenclature

At 10:20 AM 1/11/2010, jbb31 at duke.edu wrote:
>Flora Europea lists the cultivated form as Vitis vinifera L. subsp.
vinifera,
>and the cultivated form as Vitis vinifera L. subsp. sylvestris (C.C.
Gmelin)
>Hegi.  Unfortunately IPNI does not list the latter name as a
subspecies, only
>listing Vitis sylvestris C.C. Gmel.

IPNI lacks a great many infraspecific names because Index Kewensis did
not
include them.  I suspect the Hegi name is from Gustav Hegi,

Illustrierte Flora von Mittel-Europa.

There were numerous infraspecific names validated there in
Campanulaceae.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor
Curator of the Neil A. Harriman Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
800 Algoma Blvd.
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA