[Taxacom] Monkey Community greatly relieved

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Wed Jan 13 14:19:29 CST 2010

>It fell on deaf ears when she tried to explain the difference
>between "a common ancestor" and "monkey ancestors".

Irrelevant to folks of that mindset.  The mere suggestion that our species
arose by natural processes rather than divine fiat is anathema.  You have
committed heresy by suggesting that our kinship is with ANY sort of beast
rather than with the angels.

You may be saying, "The evidence suggests that our human species diverged
from a common ancestor with chimps and gorillas or orangutans ..."  but
what they HEAR is, "The beliefs you have cherished since childhood are
stupid.  What mother and Reverend Lovejoy and Mrs. Magillicuddy in Sunday
School told you was a lie.  The Bible is a lie.  You're stupid to have
believed such tripe for so long."

Viewed that way, their rancor is understandable.  That's why efforts such
as the Clergy Letter Project
(http://www.butler.edu/clergyproject/rel_evol_sun.htm) are so important.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor
Curator of the Neil A. Harriman Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
800 Algoma Blvd.
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA