[Taxacom] Monkey Community greatly relieved

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Wed Jan 13 14:50:39 CST 2010

At 02:30 PM 1/13/2010, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
>Funny though, you seem just as uncompromisingly convinced in your beliefs
>as they are in theirs!

Hm.  I think you read what you wished into my post.  Please read it again
carefully.  I didn't express my beliefs.  I was merely seeking to help
folks understand the mindset of the devout, how they HEAR us, in order to
(like the Clergy Letter Project) find common ground and tone down the
rancor.  It is all very easy to dismiss Creationists as nut-cases and
loonies, but not particularly helpful.  We must understand that the things
we speak about with such assurance attack the core of their beliefs.

Let me put it more simply: If there was no Creation, there was no Adam and
Eve.  If there was no Adam & Eve, there was no Fall from Grace.  If there
was no Fall from Grace, there was no need of universal redemption.  If
there is no need for universal redemption, there was no need for the
sacrifice on Calvary, and the entire Christian faith is a sham.  THAT is
what we are up against, and that is what more enlightened Christians are
trying to combat as well.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor
Curator of the Neil A. Harriman Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
800 Algoma Blvd.
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA