[Taxacom] Monkey Community greatly relieved

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 13 16:35:11 CST 2010

very nice! :)

My ("tongue in cheeky") definition: science is a branch of economics where funding is used to provide employment for projects with high levels of predictability and repeatability, so if a scientist is lost to accident or alternative employment, the project can be continued by a near enough clone ...

More seriously, sure it would be unscientific to disregard testability, but that is another closed loop. Equally, it would be unreligious (is that a word?) to require testability. There is a bit of a "leap of faith" from unscientific to "therefore completely wrong and stupid". One ought to approach scientific questions scientifically, and religious questions religiously, approach artistic endeavours artistically, etc... One of my not so favourite colleagues always says "that's not science!", as if it were a put-down. I say, "no, it's not science, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing" ...