[Taxacom] Our Monkey Ancestors

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 13 22:37:05 CST 2010

Well, it is all just semantics. In one sense, snakes are (a clade of) legless lizards, but in another sense it is wrong to call a snake a lizard, or a bird a dinosaur. I agree that the latter sense is probably to be preferred, mainly so that we can call things by stable names independently of changing phylogenetic hypotheses. But, all I meant was that the person who "lumps apes with monkeys" has got a point - there is a sense in which they are correct, even if they are not using the terms in the preferred sense.

The Collembola/Hexapoda issue is not just semantics, of course, but the available evidence seems unable to definitively decide the issue, at least for now - so often the way!

An interesting question (touched on before) is what are animals? Are animals monophyletic? There is a tricky semantic issue here, involving what to say now that the Protozoa have been thrown out of the old Animalia. Did we discover that: (1) Protozoa aren't animals after all; or (2) Protozoa are animals, but animals are a polyphyletic grouping of Protozoa and Metazoa. I prefer (2), but they are very reluctant at Wikispecies, for example, to deny that lions and insects and things belong to a clade properly called Animalia, so they prefer (1)...